We are so appreciative when families and girls ask this question. Girl Scout camp has something for every level of readiness! Although age plays a big role in determining a camper’s readiness for sleepaway camp, maturity and openness to a new adventure are also important.
We suggest reviewing and discussing the following list of skills and abilities with your Girl Scout to decide what is best for her:
- I can ask for help when needed.
- I can follow directions in a group setting.
- I’m excited to make new friends.
- I’m comfortable being outdoors in nature.
- I have been away from home overnight.
- I can take a shower and brush my teeth by myself.
- I can keep track of my personal belongings.
- I know how to use my camp equipment (i.e. water bottle, sunscreen, etc.).
If you and your camper decide she’s not ready for a full week of sleepaway camp, consider the day camp sessions with an optional overnight experience at Camp Timber Ridge.